MAC Research Seminar - Related links, other papers, similar courses
Not so similar...
- Teaching reviewing to graduate students. Jens Palsberg and
Scott Baxter (CACM V45N12 Dec 2002) http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/585597.585612
Makes Good Research in Software Engineering?, course by Mary Shaw.
- Bill Cowan's course "Experimentation in Computer Science" at Waterloo
David Parkes's Harvard seminar course on Electronic Market Design
- Valentin N. Razmov's Reading Group on Security at University of Washington
- Parasitic Computing. Barabasi et al, Nature, 412 (30 August 2001)
- Remote Timing Attacks are Practical
David Brumley and Dan Boneh
To appear in the Proceedings of the 12th USENIX Security Symposium, August 2003.
- MIT 18.996
Topics in Theoretical Computer Science: Internet Research Problems
Tom Leighton, Bruce Maggs, Ravi Sundaram, Shang-Hua Teng
Computational Issues in Ecommerce (Pennsylvania State University
CSE 597B). Ingemar Cox.
- CSE190 - Applications in Ubiquitous Computing
How to Read an Engineering Research Paper
Bill Griswold, UC San Diego
Topics in Mobile Networking (Alex Snoeren's CSE 291 K00 at UC San Diego).
- Wu-chang Feng, CSE 581: Internet Technology (Winter 2002 at Oregon Health and Science University)
- Y. Richard Yang, CPSC 633a : Seminar on Computer Networks, Fall 2001 at Yale
- Clark Thomborson, Software Security
- Selected topics
in wide-area networking...UCSD: http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/~savage/cse291.html
- Postmodern databases...
Seminar in image and video computing, Boston Univ: http://cs-www.bu.edu/faculty/sclaroff/courses/cs835/Home.html
course in algorithms... Chalmers: http://www.cs.chalmers.se/Cs/Grundutb/Kurser/algsem/
- http://www.cse.ogi.edu/class/cse581/papers/papers.htmlCSE 581 Internet Technology, Oregon Graduate Institute
Ideas for when we do this again in 2007:
- A. Basu, C.-H. L. Ong, A. Rasala, B. Shepherd and G. Wilfong,
Route Oscillation in I-BGP. In Proceedings of Annual Conference of the
ACM Special Interest Group on Data Communications (SIGCOMM 2002),
August 29-23, Pittsburgh, USA, ACM Press, 2002.
- An Autonomous Robot Photographer
Zachary Byers, Michael Dixon, Kevin Goodier, William Smart and Cindy
Grimm. In "(IEEE/RSJ) International Conference on Robots and Systems
(IROS)", pages 2636-2641, 2003.pdf.
- Let's look at referee comments. Eg this one on
teapots. Responses to referees comments are slightly
easier to find, though rare in CS; eg this
one. See also (at random) here.
- Jingle Bells: Solving the Santa Claus Problem, by Nick Benton.
- Another great title: Prosenjit Bose, Erik D. Demaine, Ferran Hurtado, John
Iacono, Stefan Langerman, and Pat Morin, ``Geodesic Ham-Sandwich
Cuts,'' Discrete & Computational Geometry.
- Ron Breukelaar, Erik D. Demaine, Susan Hohenberger, Hendrik Jan
Hoogeboom, Walter A. Kosters, and David Liben-Nowell, ``Tetris is
Hard, Even to Approximate,'' International Journal of Computational
Geometry and Applications, volume 14, number 1-2, 2004, pages 41-68.
- Another Demaine paper: Carl M. Bender, Michael A. Bender, Erik
D. Demaine, and Sandor P. Fekete, ``What is the optimal shape of a city?,'' Journal of
Physics A: Mathematical and General, volume 37, number 1, January
2004, pages 147-159.
- OK One more: Erik D. Demaine, Martin L. Demaine, and Joseph
S. B. Mitchell, ``Folding Flat Silhouettes and Wrapping Polyhedral
Packages: New Results in Computational Origami,'' Computational
Geometry: Theory and Applications, volume 16, number 1, 2000, pages
3-21. Special issue of selected papers from the 3rd CGC Workshop on
Computational Geometry, 1998.
Robust Layered Control System for a Mobile Robot by Rodney Brooks.
- Vahid Tarokh, Hamid Jafarkhani, and A. R. Calderbank (July
1999). "Space.time block codes from orthogonal designs". IEEE
Transactions on Information Theory 45 (5): 744.765. DOI:10.1109/18.771146
- Automatically generating malicious disks using symbolic execution, by Junfeng Yang, Can Sar, Paul Twohey, Cristian Cadar, and Dawson Engler, and appeared in IEEE Security and Privacy 2006. (Another longer, more detailed paper on the topic is EXE: Automatically Generating Inputs of Death, by Cristian Cadar, Vijay Ganesh, Peter Pawlowski, David Dill, and Dawson Engler and appeared in ACM Computer Communications and Security 2006). See also LWN article.
- Caprari, G., Colot, A., Siegwart, R., Halloy, J. and Deneubourg, J.-L. (2004) Building Mixed Societies of Animals and Robots. IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine. In press.
- Colot, A., Caprari, G. and Siegwart, R. (2004) InsBot: Design of an Autonomous Mini Mobile Robot Able to Interact with Cockroaches. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, New Orleans, p. 2418-2423.
- Acceptability-Oriented Computing
- On the Power of Simple Branch Prediction Analysis. Jean-Pierre Seifert et al.
- Kules, B., Kustanowitz, J., Shneiderman, B. (May 2006)
Categorizing Web Search Results into Meaningful and Stable Categories Using Fast-Feature Techniques
Proceedings of the 6th ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital libraries. 210-219. See demo search engine.
- Yuri Gurevich
On the Classical Decision Problem
Bulletin of the European Association for Theoretical Computer Science
October 1990, 140--150. here
- Play to test
Andreas Blass; Yuri Gurevich; Lev Nachmanson; Margus Veanes
- Minds, Brains and Programs
An Abstract Interpretation Approach for Automatic Generation of Polynomial Invariants
Static Analysis Symposium, SAS-2004,
Italy, August 2004.
Enric Rodriguez-Carbonell and Deepak Kapur
- Something from the Computational Intelligence in Games
conferences, eg http://csapps.essex.ac.uk/cig/2006/papers/proceedings.pdf.
- Strassen, Volker, Gaussian Elimination is not Optimal, Numer. Math. 13, p. 354-356, 1969. http://www.springerlink.com/content/w71w4445t7m71gm5/
or a later descendant such as:
- Understanding the Network-Level Behavior of Spammers
A. Ramachandran and N. Feamster
Proc. ACM SIGCOMM,
Pisa, Italy, September 2006.
- Planet-scale software updates
The Semiotics of Time Structure in Ludic Space As a Foundation for
Analysis and Design by Craig A. Lindley here. See also Game Studies: the international journal of
computer game research.
Steffen Priesterjahn, Oliver Kramer, Alexander Weimer, Andreas
Evolution of Reactive Rules in Multi Player Computer Games Based on
- Something from the Workshop on the Economics of
Information Security, eg economic barriers to
adopting new security protocols
CS 266: Biologically-inspired Distributed and Multi-agent Systems
Prof. Radhika Nagpal, Harvard., especially painting.
- SRUTI 05 and SRUTI06
Papers which look interesting but are probably not what we need for the
- The egalitarian effect of search engines
Authors: Santo Fortunato, Alessandro Flammini, Filippo Menczer,
Alessandro Vespignani. ArXiv
- Watkins, E. R. and Nicole, D. A. (2005) Version Control in
Online Software Repositories. Proceedings of the 2005 International
Conference on Software Engineering Research and Practice II
- A multi-algorithm, multi-timescale method for cell simulation,
K. Takahashi, K. Kaizu, B. Hu, M. Tomita, Bioinformatics, 20(4),
- The Small World of Software Reverse Engineering by Ahmed
E. Hassan and Richard C. Holt pdf
- Daniel Berend and Luba Sapir
"Between the expert and majority rules"
Adv. in Appl. Probab. 35, no. 4 (2003), 941.960
- Competitive algorithms for the dynamic selection of component implementations D. M. Yellin. IBM Systems Journal Vol. 42, No. 1, 2003 pdf
- R.W. Irving, Matching medical students to pairs of hospitals: a new variation on a well-known theme. Springer
- On the 802.11 Turbulence of Nintendo DS and Sony PSP Hand-held
Network Games. Mark Claypool. And/or other papers from NetGames
2005 For example this one below,
- Fairness in Dead-Reckoning based Distributed Multi-Player Games
Sudhir Aggarwal, Hemant Banavar (Florida State University, USA), Sarit
Mukherjee, Sampath Rangarajan (Bell Labs -- Lucent Technologies,
- M. Bosse, P. Newman, J. Leonard, M. Soika, W. Feiten, and S. Teller, "An Atlas framework for scalable mapping," in International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 2, September 2003.
- Aickelin U, Bentley P, Cayzer S, Kim J and McLeod J (2003): 'Danger Theory: The Link between AIS and IDS?', Proceedings ICARIS-2003, 2nd International Conference on Artificial Immune Systems, LNCS 2787, pp 147-155, Springer-Verlag, Edinburgh, UK pdf. See also artificial immune systems and recommender systems, http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~uxa/#publications
- Brian Kirby, Jason Campbell, Burak Aksak, Padmanabhan Pillai,
James Hoburg, Todd C. Mowry, Seth Copen Goldstein: Catoms: Moving
Robots Without Moving Parts. AAAI 2005: 1730-1731
- "Quantum Malware", by L.-A. Wu and D.A. Lidar,
- Shonali Krishnaswamy, Seng Wai Loke:
Estimating Computation Times of Data-Intensive Applications. IEEE
Distributed Systems Online, Volume 5,
Number 4, April 2004
by Atau Tanaka, for example Tanaka, A., Tokui, N., and Momeni,
A. Facilitating Collective Musical Creativity. Proceedings of ACM
Multimedia, 2005. pdf.
- P-Y. Oudeyer, F. Kaplan, V. V. Hafner and A. Whyte The
Playground Experiment: Task-Independent Development of a Curious
Robot. In Bank, D. and Meeden, L., editor, Proceedings of the AAAI
Spring Symposium on Developmental Robotics, 2005, pages 42-47,
Stanford, California, 2005.pdf
- Bharath Kumar Mohan: The Best Nurturers in Computer Science
2005 SIAM International Data Mining Conference Techreport
- Gene Expression Programming: a New Adaptive Algorithm
for Solving Problems
Candida Ferreira. Apparently published Complex
- Fourier Slice Photography, Ren Ng et al, SIGGRAPH 2005 pdf
- C. H. Lee, A. Varshney, and David Jacobs. Mesh Saliency. ACM
SIGGRAPH 2005. 18MB
- Peter Pietzuch, Jonathan Ledlie, Jeffrey Shneidman, Mema
Roussopoulos, Matt Welsh, Margo Seltzer, "Network-Aware Operator
Placement for Stream-Processing Systems", PDF, To Appear in ICDE
2006, April, 2006.
- Frame and Metaphor in Political Games. Bogost, Ian. DiGRA2005
- Palsberg, J., Krishnaswamy, S., Minseok, K., Ma, D., Shao, Q.,
and Zhang, Y. (2000). Experience with software watermarking. In
Proceedings of the 16th Annual Computer Security Applications
Conference, ACSAC '00, pages 308-- 316. IEEE. citeseer
- Xen and the Art of Repeated Research
Bryan Clark, Todd Deshane, Eli Dow, Stephen Evanchik, Matthew Finlayson, Jason Herne, and Jeanna Neefe Matthews, Clarkson University.
- Karl Krukow, Mogens Nielsen, and Vladimiro Sassone.
A Framework for Concrete Reputation-Systems. pdf
- Railway Delay Management: Exploring Its Algorithmic Complexity
Michael Gatto, Bjorn Glaus, Riko Jacob, Leon Peeters, and Peter Widmayer. SWAT04.
- Buldas, A., Laud, P., and Lipmaa, H. Eliminating Counterevidence with Applications to Accountable Certicate Management. Jounal of Computer Security (2002). To appear. http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/buldas02eliminating.html
(most influential Estonian contribution to Computer Science, apparently)
- Michael S. Mahoney, "WHAT MAKES HISTORY?" here. Mahoney is consulting historian to the ACM Historuy of Programming Languages II conference.
- How to increase the acceptance ratios of top conferences?
G. Cormode, A. Czumaj and S.M. Muthukrishnan
In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Fun with Algorithms (FUN 2004), Isola d'Elba, Tuscany, Italy, May 26 - 28, 2004.
- The hardness of the Lemming Games G. Cormode, presented at FUN04.
- Li, J., Sung, M., Xu, J., Li, L. "Large-Scale IP Traceback in High-Speed Internet: Practical Techniques and Theoretical Foundation", in 2004 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy.
Science and Substance: A Challenge to Software Engineers
Fenton, Pfleeger, Glass, IEEE Software V11N4 (July 1994).
- Rooter: A Methodology for the Typical Unification of Access Points and Redundancy. Jeremy Stribling, Daniel Aguayo and Maxwell Krohn.
WMSCI 2005 (allegedly).
- How to Make a Semantic Web Browser. http://www.www2004.org/proceedings/docs/1p255.pdf
- In Proc. 1st USENIX/ACM Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI '04) San Francisco, CA, March 2004.
- Talkers and Listeners - how to encourage students to participate in classroom discussion
- Ian Parberry's ``A guide for new referees in theoretical computer science'', SIGACT News, 20(4):92-109.
- Democratizing Content Publication with Coral
Michael J. Freedman, Eric Freudenthal, and David Mazi
- Mining the Space of Graph Properties. Jeh and Widom, KDD04.
- Policy optimization for dynamic power management
- Shadbolt, N. R., Gibbins, N., Glaser, H., Harris, S. and schraefel, m. c. (2004) CS AKTive Space or how we stopped worrying and learned to love the Semantic Web. IEEE Intelligent Systems.
- Sanda Harabagiu, Dan Moldovan, Marius Pasca, Rada Mihalcea, Mihai Surdeanu, Razvan Bunescu, Roxana Girju, Vasile Rus and Paul Morarescu, FALCON: Boosting Knowledge for Answer Engines, in Proceedings of the Text Retrieval Conference (TREC-9), November, 2000.
- Sanda Harabagiu, Deriving Metonymic Coercions from WordNet, in Proceedings of the Workshop on Usage of WordNet in Natural Language Processing Systems, COLING-ACL'98, Montreal, Canada, August 1998, pages 142-148.
(a much more technical paper from the same site)
- D. H. Wolpert and W. G. MacReady. No free lunch theorems for optimization. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, April 1996. here
- S.M. Alamouti, "A Simple Transmit Diversity Technique for Wireless
Communications, " IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications,
vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1451--1458, Oct. 1998. One of the technologies behind WiMAX - see special issue of the Intel Technology Journal.
- Spatial Views Ni et al, LCR2004.
- Capability Myths Demolished. Mark Miller, Ka-Ping Yee, Jonathan Shapiro. here
See referees' evaluation here (recommending rejection).
- Efficient communication in an ad-hoc network, Abraham Flaxman, Alan Frieze and Eli Upfal. Journal of Algorithms, March 2004
- Debugging and Verification of Parallel Systems - the picoChip Way
Daniel Towner, Gajinder Panesar, Andrew Duller, Alan Gray, and Will Robbins.
- Paulos, Eric; Goodman, Elizabeth. The Familiar Stranger: Anxiety, Comfort, and Play in Public Places. Proceedings of the 2004 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 2004. Pages 223-230.
- Near Shannon limit error-correcting coding and decoding: Turbo-codes
Berrou, C. Glavieux, A. Thitimajshima, P.
See also IEEE Trans Comms
- Algorithmic Issues in Wireless Data Delivery
Nicolas Schabanel here
- Online dispersion algorithms for swarm,s of robots. Hsiang, Arkin, Bender, Fekete and Mitchell
- Design Principles of Policy Languages for Path Vector Protocols. Timothy G. Griffin (AT&T Research), Aaron D. Jaggard (Department of Mathematics, University of Pennsylvania), Vijay Ramachandran (Department of Computer Science, Yale University). SIGCOMM 2003. pdf
Measurement, Modeling, and Analysis of a Peer-to-Peer File-Sharing Workload
Krishna P. Gummadi, Richard J. Dunn, Stefan Saroiu, Steven D. Gribble, Henry M. Levy, John Zahorjan
(University of Washington) SOSP2003.
Bullet: High Bandwidth Data Dissemination Using an Overlay Mesh
Dejan Kostic, Adolfo Rodriguez, Jeannie Albrecht, Amin Vahdat
(Duke University) SOSP2003.
SplitStream: High-Bandwidth Multicast in Cooperative Environments
Miguel Castro, Peter Druschel, Ann-Marie Kermarrec, Animesh Nandi, Antony Rowstron, Atul Singh
(Microsoft Research and Rice University) SOSP 2003.
Samsara: Honor Among Thieves in Peer-to-Peer Storage
Landon P. Cox, Brian D. Noble
(University of Michigan) SOSP 2003.
- User-level Internet Path Diagnosis
Ratul Mahajan, Neil Spring, David Wetherall, Thomas Anderson
(University of Washington) SOSP 2003.
- Faster methods for calculating PageRank
- High-Rate Codes that are Linear in Space and Time.
Babak Hassibi, Bertrand M. Hochwald. IEEE TRANS INFORM THEORY
Year: JUL 2002.
- R. Bhatia, J. Chuzhoy, A. Freund, and J. (S.) Naor.
Algorithmic Aspects of Bandwidth Trading.
Proc. 30th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages, and Programming (ICALP03), 2003.
- T. Kelly. The case for a new IP congestion control framework. Technical Report CUED/FINFENG /TR.434, Laboratory for Communication Engineering, Cambridge University, June 2002. http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/kelly02case.html
- http://www.ics.uci.edu/~bagchi/pub.html - Efficient strategies for topics in Internet Algorithmics.
PhD thesis submitted to Johns Hopkins university. October 2002. Amitabha Bagchi
- http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/412816.html - Teaching Internet Algorithmics (Make Corrections)
Michael T. Goodrich, Roberto Tamassia
SIGCSEB: SIGCSE Bulletin (ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education)
- Tygar, J.D. and Yee, B.S., "Secure Coprocessors in Electronic Commerce Applications," Proceedings 1995 USENIX Electronic Commerce Workshop, 1995, New York. http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/article/yee95secure.html
- Digital Fountain
- Syme and Gordon
- Trusted Logic's smartcard verifier
- Missing the memory wall
- Switchlets, cplane and other active networking ideas
- D. Ferrari and D. Verma, A Scheme for Real-Time Channel Establishment in Wide-Area Networks, IEEE J. on Selected Areas in Communications, April 1990. http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/ferrari90scheme.html
- Timing Attacks on Implementation of Diffie-Hellman
- Sprite: A Simple, Cheat-Proof, Credit-Based System for Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks. Sheng Zhong, Jiang Chen, and Yang Richard Yang. Technical Report Yale/DCS/TR1235, Department of Computer Science, Yale University, July 2002. A revised version will appear in Proceedings of IEEE Infocom 2003, San Francisco, CA, April 2003.
- Steve Lawrence, C. Lee Giles, and Kurt Bollacker. Digital libraries
and autonomous citation indexing. IEEE Computer, 32(6):67--71, 1999. http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/article/lawrence99digital.html
- Krsul, I., & Spafford, E. H. (1996). Authorship analysis: Identifying
the author of a program, (CSD-TR- 96-052), West Lafayette, IN: Purdue University,
Department of Computer Sciences. http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/krsul96authorship.html
- The Bulgarian Virus Factory
- Collberg, C., and Thomborson,
C. Software watermarking: Models and dynamic embeddings. In Conference Record
of POPL '99: The 26th ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on Principles of Programming
Languages (to appear) (Jan. 1999). http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/collberg99software.html
- F. Nielson, H. Riis Nielson, R. R. Hansen, and J. G. Jensen. Validating
firewalls in mobile ambients. In Proceedings of CONCUR'99, volume 1664 of
LNCS, pages 463--477, 1999.
- R. Yahalom, B. Klein and T. Beth. Trust relationships in secure systems---A
distributed authentication perspective. In Proceedings of the 1993 IEEE Symposium
on Research in Security and Privacy, pages 150--164, May 1993. http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/yahalom93trust.html
- Abdul-Rahman A., Hailes S. Supporting Trust in Virtual Communities.
In: Hawaii Int. Conference on System Sciences 33 , Maui, Hawaii, January 2000.
- Modelling a Public Key Infrastructure. Ueli Maurer, ESORICS 96.
- M. Shankar, M. DeMiguel and J. Liu, An end-to-end QoS management
architecture, in: Proc. IEEE Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium
(RTAS '99), 1999.
- V. Paxson. End-to-End Routing Behavior in the Internet.
Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM '96 Conference on Applications, Technologies, Architectures, and Protocols for Computer
Communication, August 26-30, 1996, Stanford, CA, 25--39, Aug. 1996.
ACM Digital Library.
For citations see http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/37187.html
- V. Paxson. Why We Don't Know How to Simulate the Internet. In Proceedings
of the 1997 Winter Simulation Conference, Atlanta GA, U.S.A., Dec. 1997.
- Albert, R., Jeong, H. & Barabsi, A.-L. The Internet's Achilles'
heel: Error and attack tolerance of complex networks. Nature , in press (2000).
- Peter R. Wurman, Michael P. Wellman, and William E. Walsh. A parametrization
of the auction design space. Games and Economic Behavior, this volume, 2000.
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Pennsylvania State
University Computer Science & Engineering: CSE 597I, "Computational Issues
in E-Commerce and the E-World" (Fall 2000), graduate seminar course led by
Lee Giles, http://www.ist.psu.edu/faculty_pages/giles/CSE597I/
- Poblano - A Distributed Trust Model for Peer-to-Peer Networks is part
of the Sun JXTA documentation. www.jxta.org/project/www/docs/trust.pdf