Software performance optimisation reading group
- All welcome
- If you'd like to be on the email list (no commitment necessary) please contact Paul Kelly
The focus for our weekly reading group is software performance optimisation
with specific emphasis on:
We might also get drawn into
adaptive optimisation, iterative compilation, self-optimisation, architecture-cognizance
the use of metadata, summary information and generating extensions in run-time
performance issues in operating systems and distributed object-oriented
static analysis, especially with respect to pointers, aliasing, escape
custom computing, reconfigurable hardware, codesign, hardware-software
Optimising communications protocols to reduce the number of messages, and improve concurrency.
- 1/12/05: J. Aldrich, V. Kostadinov, and C. Chambers. Alias annotations for
program understanding. In Object-Oriented Programming, Systems,
Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA), November 2002.
- 24/11/05: Mohamed Mansour and Karsten Schwan, "I-RMI: Performance
Service Oriented Architectures," short paper to appear in Middleware
- 17/11/05: M. K. Aguilera, J. C. Mogul, J. L. Wiener, P. Reynolds, and A.
Muthitacharoen. Performance debugging for distributed systems of
boxes. In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Operating Systems
Principles (SOSP), Bolton Landing, NY, Oct. 2003.
- 11/11/05: Tim Harris and Keir Fraser,
Concurrent programming without locks.
- 4/11/05: Programming by Sketching for Bitstreaming Programs
Armando Solar-Lezama, Rodric Rabbah, Rastislav Bodik, Kemal
ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Language Design and
Implementation (PLDI '05)
Composable Memory Transactions
Tim Harris, Simon Marlow, Simon Peyton Jones, Maurice Herlihy.
- 21/10/05: Statically Safe Program Generation with SafeGen
Shan Shan Huang, David Zook, and Yannis Smaragdakis