alceste (dot) scalas (at) imperial (dot) ac (dot) uk
I am a Research Associate at
Imperial College London. I
work in the
Department of Computing,
as a member of the
Mobility Reading Group,
I earned my PhD in May 2015 at the University of Cagliari (score: excellent).
Earlier, I earned a BSc and a MSc in Informatics (both
with honours) at the University of Cagliari, worked as a
software engineer, and have been involved in
several research and development projects at CRS4 (Center for Advanced Studies, Research and
Development in Sardinia).
Formal methods, concurrency, distributed systems, contract-oriented
computing, contracts, behavioural and session types, programming
- Massimo Bartoletti, Alceste Scalas, Emilio Tuosto, Roberto
Zunino. Honesty By Typing. Accepted for publication
in Logical Methods in
Computer Science, 2016.
- Tzu-chun Chen, Mariangiola Dezani-Ciancaglini, Alceste
Scalas, Nobuko Yoshida. On the Preciseness of Subtyping in
Session Types. Accepted for publication
in Logical Methods in
Computer Science, 2016.
- A. Scalas, N. Yoshida. Lightweight Session Programming
in Scala (+ artifact). Proc. ECOOP 2016.
For the latest version of the artifact, visit: http://alcestes.github.io/lchannels
- M. Bartoletti, M. Murgia, A. Scalas. R. Zunino. Verifiable abstractions for contract-oriented systems. Accepted for publication in Journal of Logical and Algebraic Methods in Programming, 2015.
- A. Scalas, M. Bartoletti. The LTS WorkBench. Proc. ICE 2015, 4-5 June 2015, Granoble, France. For the implementation, see the LTS WorkBench page
- M. Bartoletti, J. Lange, A. Scalas, R. Zunino. Choreographies in the wild. Accepted for publication in Science of Computer Programming, 2014.
- M. Bartoletti, A. Scalas, R. Zunino. A semantic deconstruction of session types. Proc. CONCUR'14, 1-6 September 2014, Rome, Italy. (For an extended version with proofs, see the PhD thesis below)
- M. Bartoletti, M. Murgia, A. Scalas, R. Zunino. Modelling and verifying contract-oriented systems in Maude. WRLA'14, 5-6 April 2014, Grenoble, France. Extended version available on the TCS publications page.
- J. Lange, A. Scalas. Choreography synthesis as contract agreement. ICE 2013, 6 June 2013 , Florence, Italy. Extended version available on the TCS publications page.
M. Bartoletti, A. Scalas, E. Tuosto, R. Zunino. Honesty by typing. FORTE/FMOODS'13, 3-6 June 2013, Florence, Italy. Extended technical report available on the TCS publications page.
A. Scalas, G. Casu,
P. Pili. High-performance technical
Erlang. ACM SIGPLAN
Erlang Workshop (satellite event of ACM ICFP 2008),
27 September 2008, Victoria, BC, Canada.
Peer-reviewed workshops (without formal proceedings)
- M. Bartoletti, A. Scalas, R. Zunino. Towards a theory of honesty. HotSpot'14, 5 April 2014, Grenoble, France.
M. Bartoletti, A. Scalas, E. Tuosto, R. Zunino. Honesty by
typing (preliminar version). BEAT'13, 22 January 2013, Rome, Italy.
M. Bartoletti, A. Scalas, E. Tuosto, R. Zunino. What if
contracts are violated? (short
paper). FLACOS'12, 19 September
2012, Bertinoro, Italy.
projects and grants
2012-2016 (at Università di Cagliari and Imperial College London):
Behavioural Types for Reliable
Large-Scale Software Systems (BETTY) - EU COST Action
IC1201 - WG1 (Foundations) and WG2 (Security).
2012-2015 (at Università di Cagliari): Security Horizons - MIUR PRIN 2010-11.
2012-2015 (at Università di Cagliari): TESLA - Autonomous Region of Sardinia grant L.R.7/2007-CRP2_120.
2012-2015 (at Università di Cagliari): TRICS - Autonomous Region of Sardinia grant L.R.7/2007-CRP-17285.
2006-2010 (at CRS4): MIUR FAR 630 project "Innovative models and
methodologies for control, diagnostics and management of
combined gas-steam thermoelectric power plants, under highly
variable and perturbed working conditions". Tasks:
design, development and formal analysis of a framework for parallel and
distributed real-time numerical computing, aimed at industrial
applications. Author of the Foreign Function
Interface for Erlang proposal (EEP 7).
- 2001-2002 (at CRS4): MIUR LAPS
Cluster 22, Project 41D "Laboratory for Advanced
Design and Simulation". Tasks: analysis of existing
volume/CSG rendering software, implementation of additional
algorithms, evaluation for applicability on various tasks
(medical imaging, industrial manufacturing).
public talks, seminars, etc.
Note: the following list is incomplete
A. Scalas. A gentle introduction to concurrency
theory. CRS4, May 26,
- M. Bartoletti, A. Scalas, R. Zunino. A semantic
deconstruction of session types. Presented at:
- Imperial College London,
December 4, 2014.
- University of Glasgow, February 3,
M. Bartoletti, A. Scalas, E. Tuosto,
R. Zunino. Contract-oriented computing in CO2.
- University of Cagliari - MSc Seminar, course on "Foundations of security" (December 17-18, 2013)
- OPLSS 2013 Student Talks (August 1, 2013)
University of Cagliari - PhD/MSc Seminar, course on "Foundations of security" (March 26, 2013)
University of Pisa - "Mauriana Pesaresi" PhD Seminars
(December 13, 2012)
University of Leicester - PhD Seminars (October 4, 2012)
FOSAD 2012 - open session (September 8, 2012)
Other PhD activities
- 2013, 2014: Teaching assistant for the Automata and Formal Languages course (for the BSc degree in Informatics)
- 1 December 2014 - 13 February 2015: visiting student at Imperial College London (UK). Supervisor: Prof. Nobuko Yoshida.
15 October - 30 November 2012: visiting student at
the University of Leicester (UK). Supervisor: Dr. Emilio Tuosto.
Attended conferences, workshops, etc.:
- ETAPS'15 and BETTY meeting - London, April 11-18, 2015
- BETTY meeting, BEAT'14, TGC'14 - Rome, 31 August - 6 September 2014
- ETAPS'14, PLACES'14 and BETTY meeting - Grenoble, 5-13 April 2014
- BEAT 2 and BETTY meeting - Madrid, 23-26 September 2013
- BETTY meeting - Rome, 24 March 2013
POPL'13 + tutorial sessions - Rome, 21-25 January